Archive | Uncategorized RSS feed for this section

Neural Symphony: Make Music With Sounds of the Brain

28 Nov

I am so excited to finally announce the release of Neural Symphony, a free sample library of neural responses mapped to the piano keyboard. These samples allow composers, producers, and sound designers to create music using the raw audio of millions of neurons firing together in synchrony.  You can listen to demo of the sounds below, or download the sample pack and make your own “neuromusic:”

 

Advertisements

Twin Peaks – “Falling” (Theme Song arr. for Roland Juno-60 Synthesizer)

20 Nov

Twin Peaks – Theme Song (“Falling”). Music composed by Angelo Badalamenti. Originally performed by Julee Cruise and recorded by Kinny Landrum.

Arranged for the Roland Juno-60. All parts are played by Roland Juno-60, except drums. EQ, compression, and reverb added.

New Synthwave Instrumental: 120 MPH

21 Mar

 

This past week, I made this hilarious 80s-inspired theme song while playing around with the Ice Choir sample pack. 90% of this track produced using content from the sample pack, while the remaining 10% is the Juno 6 and guitar.

Learning about Machine Learning

29 May

With the objective of acquiring some technical skills during my graduate-school career, I and several of my fellow graduate students will be embarking through Gareth James, Daniela Witten, Trevor Hastie and Robert Tibshirani’s wonderful book, An Introduction to Statistical Learning with Applications in R this summer. R Bloggers has turned the textbook into a full curriculum, complete with video lectures and powerpoint slides. We will be blogging our progress at Chaotic Neural. Follow along.

Mixcraft 7 Teacher’s Guide

11 Mar

Mixcraft 6 Teacher's Guide

MIXCRAFT 7 TEACHER’S GUIDE

An updated version of the Mixcraft Teacher’s Guide is now available. As always, a .pdf-version of the book is free. Updates include new student projects, an overview of the added features in Mixcraft version 7, recommendations on hardware, and fresh screenshots. See below for a description:

Mixcraft 7 Teacher’s Guide is a teaching tool and reference manual aimed at educators who wish to incorporate music composition, music production, and digital audio workstations into an education curriculum. The book contains an overview of a great piece of music software called Mixcraft and includes lesson plans for making remixes, podcasts, film scores, and about a dozen other creative creations. Educators can download the book here along with supplementary materials (i.e., templates for making music and sample projects).

What does a Yamaha CS-40m sound like?

25 Nov

What sounds can you make with a Yamaha CS-40m analog synthesizer? Here is a collection of custom patches that I programmed into my Yamaha CS-40m. The demo includes basses, leads, sound effects, and more. I recorded these patches dry into Ableton Live. No effects processing was done. All parts were played by myself.

What does a Roland Juno-60 sound like?

2 Nov

What sounds can you make with a Roland Juno-60 polyphonic analog synthesizer? Here is a collection of custom patches that I programmed into my Roland Juno-60. The demo includes basses, strings, pads, arpeggios, and more. I recorded these patches dry into Ableton Live, and then used Ableton’s Large Space Chorus reverb preset to add some ambiance. (Ableton’s reverb sounds great on synths.) No other processing was done. All parts were played by myself; no DCB-MIDI conversion was used.